Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 64 - Planning for a camping/hiking trip

Today
Trying to plan a PCP-compliant hiking and camping trip requires a bit more thought than what I normally would have done in the past which was packing up heavily salted kielbasa and ramen noodles. But it looks like, aside from the dairy requirements (milk and yogurt unrefrigerated for 3 days.... hmmmmm, no) I should be good to go. I would feel better about the eggs if I could get fresh ones from a farm, but store bought and well cooked should do. You are sure to hear if they do not...


Should be a good hike. We'll be packing in and camping at the base and then summiting the next day. We are tackling one of Colorado's many "14er"s, or 14,000 foot peaks (roughly 4267 meters... roughly). In this case, Mount Massive. Evidently there are a number of 14k peaks in the Massive area so we may even be able to cross a few saddles and knock out a few more. We shall see... Fingers crossed that the weather cooperates too. Panorama:


Workout

  1. Jumprope: Again, not going to win any awards, but doable... Three sets seems to be the magic psychological number
  2. Lunges: I know everyone hates these... and I agree they are dull as dishwater, but as long as I have the TV or a movie on in the background I just zone out and they go by much more quickly.
  3. Pistol Squats: These are seriously difficult without the assist. And I tried lowering slowly... incredibly difficult.
  4. Floorjump: First two sets weren't too bad, but by the end of the third set I was jelly again and the fourth set is a real lesson in self-humiliation.
  5. DaVinci: The number of reps is just out of range for form cleanliness. That's not totally true... the first few aren't too bad, but the last 3 or 4 sets are terrifically hard and burn all the way through.
  6. Shoulder Fly: Burn baby burn... at least I can keep fairly decent form through these.
  7. V-sits: Man, another set, eh? Brutal, as always. Latter portion of the third and fourth sets weren't pretty, and the fifth set was pretty messy.
  8. Side Crunches: Still glad for the addition of the leg lifts... doable and good burn right on through

3 comments:

  1. I forget that eggs in the US are not to be trusted. I have eaten a few of my egg whites raw when I have been out of time and out of pre-boiled eggs. Wouldn't be doing that in the US.

    Have fun camping - I haven't been camping for ages and totally love it. The hiking part not so much as we like to set up camp and make it super comfy and cook awesome food and bake camp bread...

    Your comments on the workout pretty much reflect my take on things. Are you channelling my workouts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn dude can't believe the changes! Looks like your ready to tackle the 14000 footer. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete