Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 22 - Where did all my energy go?

Today
Well, still bottoming out energy-wise in the afternoon (around 2:30-5) despite getting what I assume to be a solid 8 hours' sleep and eating my full food complement. So I'm at a bit of a loss to know why that may be...


Food continues to be fun. Actually quite enjoying the challenge of creating new dishes that are not only tasty but can be meted out during the course of a given week. I think I may end up missing the evening carbs more than I would if I had lost the afternoon carbs altogether.


Workout
So-so this morning... woke up with a super stiff back and an ache in my lower left back (the problem area), so I was really creaking at first. Took a while to stretch it all out, but that's 3 days in a row like this. I assume its just my body waking back up again after basically lazing through the last 6 years or so. Anyway, the general lethargy didn't help much. Still, after about 200 or so jumps I was fairly well woken up...

  1. Jump rope: still finding it hard to string together a large number of jumps all at a time without getting out of breath, let alone get through 100 without catching or tripping.
  2. Squats: tough, but not tough enough... Legs getting stronger or maybe I am doing them wrong.
  3. Pull-ups/Incline Pull ups: seriously, can anyone do the full complement of pull ups at this point? Well, I can manage 2, maybe 2.5 and the rest as incline pull-ups. But a full 4 sets of 5-7 as pure pull-ups looks like a nice, albeit distant, goal.
  4. Standing Ovation: holy crap these were tough today. Much harder than before but I felt it more in my shoulders this time around than chest. I don't think I changed my technique but it definitely felt... off.
  5. Curls: on the other end of the spectrum... these are strong, consistent and a solid burn.
  6. Davinci: super tough as always, burn starts in the second set and doesn't quit all the way through. This might be one I have to be careful of though as I am really straining towards the end.
  7. Situps: quite difficult and the last two reps burned all of the way through. The last 10 or so were almost unbearable and a really bizarre thing happened - I tasted a kind of bizarre acetone flavor in my mouth. Curious. It dissipated when I stopped, but still... thought I should mention it.

Tomorrow we head out for the wedding in Detroit so our first away from home test on the diet...

1 comment:

  1. Couple things: Energy loss-No worries. You went from doing nothing to being active quickly and your caloric intake is decreasing so you can expect this for a bit but it will come back and you will be full of energy again soon. I had difficulty sleeping for a spell but it was not long so don't worry about it. Back stiff....OK you know my story. Get Kim to show you the Yoga Cobra move and do at least 2 sets fo 10 a day to prevent a major injury. Stretch your hamstrings out. Most bend over and touch toes. Don't do this. Get a towel and while laying on your back pull your legs towards your body. Don't become a cripple like me!

    ReplyDelete